Independent Homeschooling Options for Filipino Homeschoolers

Untitled design (1)

Most of the homeschoolers I know who choose to go the independent route fall in either of the following categories:

  1. They are already a seasoned homeschooler and now have all the knowledge and confidence they need to do it on their own.
  2. They would rather use the money to pay for the tuition fee to enroll in activities that their kids are interested in, or in classes that would enhance their kids’ talents and interests.
  3. They want more flexibility and freedom in all aspects IE curriculum, schedule, subjects to teach, to grade or not to grade, no deadlines to meet, etc.

There might be other reasons, but so far these three has been the most common ones.

Independently homeschooling in the Philippines can come in two forms:

  1. You are not enrolled with a DepEd accredited provider but are enrolled with a foreign provider or umbrella school;
  2. You are 100% independent, not enrolled with any provider at all.

If you are interested with the first option, here are the most common providers:

  • Seton Home Study School
    • You can enroll anytime
    • You must use the curriculum materials they provide
    • Provide lesson plans, but you must return it to them at the end of the school year
    • Provides transcripts and records upon request
    • Check Seton Homeschool Support page on Facebook
    • Check their website here
  • Homelife Academy
    • You can enroll anytime
    • Very affordable and has early enrollment discounts around December
    • Open curriculum
    • Online grading and record keeping
    • Provides records upon request

Now you might be thinking “What if I want to transfer my child to a regular school? Will the school accept the records provided by these foreign umbrella schools?” Well, of the three, I know of homeschoolers who were enrolled with Kolbe and Seton and were accepted by local colleges like Ateneo and La Salle. I haven’t heard of anyone who used Homelife Academy records to enroll with a local school though.

In the event that the school you’re planning to enroll your kids at, do not accept the records from these providers, then the next option is to take the DepEd Validation test (PEVT) or the Alternative Learning System (ALS) exam. To know more about these tests, you can read my previous blog post about it here.

Now let’s discuss the second option, which is going independent 100%. Untitled design (2) (1)

Yes, parents who choose to not enroll with any provider at all, whether local or foreign, are just the bravest! I admire them so much. I mean, it’s difficult enough to homeschool as it’s not the norm here in our country, but what more doing it independently? Kudos to all these brave souls! I pray for the grace and wisdom to be one!

Most of the people that I know of who chose this second option of homeschooling without any provider, are unschoolers. Unschoolers are those who follow the child’s lead when it comes to learning. They don’t follow any set curriculum, don’t have any set schedule. Whatever topic the child is interested , that’s what’s going to be explored  until the curiosity is satisfied. Now unschooling, in itself, is a whole new topic that we can delve into on a different post, so let’s leave it here for now.

I tried homeschooling my kids independently a few years back for Grade 1 and Kindergarten and it was just so relaxed and really fun I must say. I would love to go independent again, but not this year with our current family dynamics. Maybe next year 🙂

So whether you decide to enroll with a Deped accredited provider  or go independent, or even if you are just curious about homeschooling in general, it’s always good to know what options you have available.

I hope I was able to help answer some of the questions you have in mind through this post. If you still have some questions, feel free to comment below.

Happy homeschooling!



Leave a Reply